Tips for Creating Garden Soil Easily
Many people who own gardens are well aware of the problem of choosing fertilizers for the soil. This may be much more difficult than it seems. You need to take into account many factors and characteristics of fertilizers, so as not to make a mistake and not to harm the soil.
You should never ignore the process of fertilizing the soil. Yes, it may seem that it is not crucial for the soil and you can just plant trees or plants in the soil without fertilizing. But they also need nutrients and vitamins as well as people.
What Will Help You Improve the Condition of the Garden Soil?
If you plan to plant a beautiful garden and get a good harvest or want to plant a flower garden to admire the beautiful flowers and enjoy their flavors, the first thing you need to do is pay attention to the state of the soil. It must necessarily be loose and with a good texture. You should also make sure that the soil regularly receives organic substances.
The area of the garden is also important. You should take into account that you cannot create a good garden with a rich harvest in a small area. The fact is that the roots of plants and trees need enough space under the ground so that they can grow freely and not get tangled.
Every gardener can make the soil loose if he follows a number of recommendations:
- Perform soil plowing in a timely manner. You can use special tillage machines that have a positive effect on the looseness of the soil, breaking into small lumps and thoroughly mixing it. However, please note that this tool can damage the roots of plants and trees.
- If you do not want to use the tillage machine because you are afraid of damaging the roots or for other reasons, you can dig the soil with a shovel. Please note that this is a very time-consuming process that requires good physical shape and endurance. Remember that you will have to dig a large area of the garden by hand.
- Use a broadfork for cultivating the soil. This way you can enrich the soil with oxygen, as well as perform drainage. However, this method is only suitable for additional processing. This technique is absolutely not suitable for tilling the soil that has not been treated before, as it does not allow you to get rid of the turf.
If you have already determined how you will perform drainage and oxygen saturation of the soil, you should pay attention to such important aspects as its texture and ways of saturation with organic nutrients substances and vitamins.
Adding organic substances to the soil is as important for the development of trees and plants as consuming food daily by a person. Therefore, you should not ignore the process of fertilizing your soil. You should make sure that the soil in your garden is saturated with potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus. You should carefully choose high-quality compost or manure to enrich the soil with the necessary nutrients.
If you want to enrich the soil in your garden with magnesium, then use Epsom salt. You can sprinkle it on the soil before planting trees or plants. You can also dissolve it in water and pour the soil monthly with the resulting solution.
You should not think that loosening the soil is the only important factor in assessing its condition. You should also pay due attention to its texture. If the soil is clay in your garden, then you are unlikely to be able to create the garden of your dreams. You should dilute the soil with sand and humus in order to improve its condition and increase the fertility of the bushes and trees as a result.
The increased sand content in the soil is also a problem that you should fix. Adding coconut coir and organic matter will help you improve the texture of your soil. This will help to retain moisture in the soil, as the increased content of sand in it leads to rapid drainage, which negatively affects the growth and development of plants in your garden.
If you followed all the above tips but still you are not satisfied with the state of your soil and notice that it needs improvement, then you need to check the PH of the soil in your garden.
Soil with a neutral PH level is ideal for growing plants and trees and getting a rich harvest. This means that the ratio of acid and alkali levels should be optimal in the soil. You can achieve this if you fertilize the soil with organic substances or grass.
But you should take into account the fact that the soil with an increased alkaline or acid level is ideal for growing certain plants and trees. You should definitely conduct testing on the subject of what is needed for the plants in your garden.
The list of plants that need soil with high acid levels is given below:
f the above plants prevail in your garden, then you should make sure that the level of acid in the soil should be appropriate.
If we are talking about alkaline soil, it is worth noting that there are a number of plants that quite loyally tolerate increased levels of alkali in the soil:
Recommendations for Soil Testing
The procedure for checking the soil pH level is simple. You can easily perform it, even if you’ve never done it before. You can find many useful tips on the Internet. You can also get the necessary information about this when purchasing devices for measuring the soil pH level in specialized stores. It is recommended to purchase a reusable device with which you can measure all the important parameters of the soil.
If buying a device is expensive, you can exam the soil yourself using vinegar and soda. You must follow these steps:
- You have to collect several soil samples from your garden (including extracted from various depths), mix them, and leave to dry completely.
- Place the soil samples in 2 receptacles.
- Pour half a glass of vinegar and add it to one of the Place the soil samples in 2 receptacles. If you hear the hiss when the vinegar comes into contact with the soil, it means that it is alkaline.
- Pour some clean water into another receptacle with a soil sample. Pour half a glass of soda into the same container. If you hear a hiss, then know that the soil is acidic.
- If you didn’t hear a hiss in any of the cases, you can be sure that the soil has a neutral pH level.
Tips for Changing the PH Level
You should add lime to the soil if its acidity is increased. You can get recommendations about proportions if you use a special device for measuring the pH level. However, you should be careful. It will be difficult to eliminate the excess of lime added to the soil.
Serving as a powder will help if the soil in your garden has a high level of alkali. You will also get individual recommendations about the proportions using a professional device.
Most Suitable Seasons for Amend Soil
You should pay special attention to the soil in your garden twice a year:
- This time of the year is ideal for improving soil conditions. After the last crop is harvested, you can start preparing for the next planting season. Add organic substances to the soil. You should definitely cover the soil with a layer of mulch to avoid loss of nutrients.
- You should dig and aerate the soil during this season. Fertilizing the soil with organic matter is optional if you did it in the fall. All you need to do is dig up the soil to saturate it with oxygen and loosening it.
If you dream of creating a garden but worry about the fact that you have absolutely no experience in this calm down first. You can take up gardening and be quite successful in it. The most important thing is to treat this matter responsibly and not ignore aspects that directly affect the yield of trees and plants. The state of the soil is one of these important aspects.
If you are an experienced gardener and can share some useful tips on the care of the soil, leave them below.